• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Should I get this device or Nexus 7?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Question Should I get this device or Nexus 7?

Hi, I'm considering getting a new tab, and the AT100 is currently on special for $208 plus delivery.

I'm tossing up between it and the Nexus 7 and have a few questions about the experience. The main concern is performance vs Tegra 3. While I know Tegra 3 smashes Tegra 2 in benchmarks, I'm leaning toward the AT100 if it still fits my purposes, because of its versatility:

- Is HD video playback flawless? I usually watch 720p WEB-DLs (h.264 codec, ~3k-4k bitrate), will it be fine to watch these on without re-encoding? How about thru HDMI?
    - Will Tegra 2 play all the Tegra-required games on the Play Store fine?
    - Is there any way to support NTFS, either through SD or External HD? I've been told about a 4gb file limit pre- ICS update which would be quite a hindrance on me.
    - Are the JB custom ROMs currently available worth using? Are there any issues with JB ports right now?

If someone could answer any of these questions, I'd be very grateful

J
    rosalie likes this.

2. Ads

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Re: Should I get this device or Nexus 7?

First off, all nexus devices do not have SD card slots and if that's your concern, then the Thrive is a better choice. It runs tegra games like shadowgun and dead trigger just fine and it has all the full size ports. HD video is great on the thrive. On the jb roms, the only thing that doesn't work is the vibrate motor. On the nexus you get fast updates unlike the Thrive...

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kenny301; 12-11-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1906 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Quote Originally Posted by humpster View Post
    Hi, I'm considering getting a new tab, and the AT100 is currently on special for $208 plus delivery.

I'm tossing up between it and the Nexus 7 and have a few questions about the experience. The main concern is performance vs Tegra 3. While I know Tegra 3 smashes Tegra 2 in benchmarks, I'm leaning toward the AT100 if it still fits my purposes, because of its versatility:

- Is HD video playback flawless? I usually watch 720p WEB-DLs (h.264 codec, ~3k-4k bitrate), will it be fine to watch these on without re-encoding? How about thru HDMI?
    - Will Tegra 2 play all the Tegra-required games on the Play Store fine?
    - Is there any way to support NTFS, either through SD or External HD? I've been told about a 4gb file limit pre- ICS update which would be quite a hindrance on me.
    - Are the JB custom ROMs currently available worth using? Are there any issues with JB ports right now?

If someone could answer any of these questions, I'd be very grateful

J
    HD video is flawless, I've played 1080p mkv fine. HDMI out doesn't bother it either.

Its a tegra2, plays all thd games work provided the game itself is compatible.

Cm10 supports NTFS drives and I believe ICS will also mount with an app, not sure if hc does or not.

Cm10 builds (they're not ports but source built from the ground up) work and run fine, however whether you prefer it over any other ROM is personal choice. I love it, but its also my baby. Currently fighting dock audio and haptic feedback does not work, otherwise its fully functional. Other users will surely chime in though, every user is different with different needs.

Whatever you choose, welcome to then forums.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Pursuant
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times

Pio, when watching 1080p do you use a SD card or internal memory? If it is an SD card what are the specs.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    Last January, I bought my wife a Thrive. The price was right, screen res was good, and you have to love all the ports.

A full-sized tablet is too hefty for me on the train ride to and from work. After reading reviews during the Nexus 7's first week of release, I knew it was the 7" tablet I'd been waiting for, even if it lacked a micro SD slot. It's far easier to root, and the Stickmount app allows me to connect flash drives with a USB OTG adapter. So external storage is not an issue.

Well, in the last few months my wife has taken to Facebook games and prefers playing them on her laptop. I've actually been borrowing her Thrive a lot for certain games. When sharpness isn't necessary, the larger screen is nice. For multimedia and e-books, I use my Nexus 7.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Kenny, pio, panda, thanks so much for the input and welcome guys!

I just bought my Thrive, 16gb for only $168! What a great price for a 10" tab with decent specs and full SD/USB expansion.

I look forward to receiving it and seeing more of you guys around the forums.

J
    rosalie likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Welcome to the Thrive Forums family, humpster. Congrats on your new Thrive you got at an amazing deal! Enjoy it
    humpster likes this.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times

One note, with the THRiVE, for file sizes over 4GB, exFAT is natively supported. I believe NTFS support will require rooting.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Twitter
    @smalltownlife
    Welcome to the forum and good luck on your decision!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Welcome to the family.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads