• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question regarding external hard drive use after ICS update

Hi everyone,
    I don't know if anyone has experienced this, but I've been having a bit of a problem with my external hard drive remaining in sync with My Toshiba Thrive 10" device. It recognizes it, mounts it, and it works fine for a few minutes, then stops working. The files on the drive are no longer accessible. Now, my Thrive easily connects to the PC, is recognized, and I can move files back and forth on it directly. It is simply something really strange with my drive. It worked fine in Honeycomb 3.1 and afterwards, respectively. The one I use now is a Toshiba Canvio 1 TB drive. My previous drive was a Western Digital Elements SE 1 TB portable drive [which got dropped, and stopped working, hence the TOSHIBA CANVIO]. Oh, and the drives are exfat formatted. Can anyone help me sort this out? It gets really frustrating attempting to watch a video training, or watch a movie, and have it just stop, or, read books from my pdf library and have everything become unavailable all of a sudden. I called the Tech support guys and they said something about MTP on the computer, but I want to reiterate, the issue isn't between the computer and the Thrive, it is the external hard drive and the Thrive. Is there some Android driver, perhaps that is missing? It recognizes the drive, and plays/shows the material through the stock File Manager, and the other File Managers I downloaded [thinking that might have been at issue], but again, it just quits. On the upside, the SD card works fine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Iamrichdad; 10-23-2012 at 08:46 PM.

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki

Re: Question regarding external hard drive use after ICS update

Quote Originally Posted by Iamrichdad View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I don't know if anyone has experienced this, but I've been having a bit of a problem with my external hard drive remaining in sync with My Toshiba Thrive 10" device. It recognizes it, mounts it, and it works fine for a few minutes, then stops working. The files on the drive are no longer accessible. Now, my Thrive easily connects to the PC, is recognized, and I can move files back and forth on it directly. It is simply something really strange with my drive. It worked fine in Honeycomb 3.1 and afterwards, respectively. The one I use now is a Toshiba Canvio 1 TB drive. My previous drive was a Western Digital Elements SE 1 TB portable drive [which got dropped, and stopped working, hence the TOSHIBA CANVIO]. Oh, and the drives are exfat formatted. Can anyone help me sort this out? It gets really frustrating attempting to watch a video training, or watch a movie, and have it just stop, or, read books from my pdf library and have everything become unavailable all of a sudden. I called the Tech support guys and they said something about MTP on the computer, but I want to reiterate, the issue isn't between the computer and the Thrive, it is the external hard drive and the Thrive. Is there some Android driver, perhaps that is missing? It recognizes the drive, and plays/shows the material through the stock File Manager, and the other File Managers I downloaded [thinking that might have been at issue], but again, it just quits. On the upside, the SD card works fine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    Is this a passport type of drive that relies on power from the device or a self powered unit with its own power supply?

Also, have you recently checked the drive for errors? Randomly dropping offline is either a power issue or impending failure if a mechanical drive. A test would be to stress it on a PC, say defragmenting, if it drops offline its likely driver failure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Remove Ads

Ads