• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: [WARNING] ICS Update

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    If you've been browsing for a while, you know that rooting is not possible, but rolling back is.. :thumbup:
    PM dalepl or Pio_Masaki and ask them about doing that.
    You'll have a fresh, out of the box, install of HC, which you can then root (or not) and then, if rooted, flash any ROMs that you find here, including dalepl's Rooted ICS.

I'll leave others to address your last statement... :beer:
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Edit: what Dan said too, I didn't see there was a new page.

KZXten, don't throw it away just yet! ICS can't be rooted, but send a PM to dalepl. He has the magic wand to roll you back remotely to Android 3.2, which can be rooted. His root tool also flashes ClockworkMod Recovery, allowing you to install custom ROMs. His version of ICS is identical to Toshiba's, with a few key differences: it's stable, it's rooted, and certain Toshiba-applied apps are now uninstallable user apps. You can finally get rid of Kaspersky, which started eating an hour of battery life after I accidentally activated it.

dalepl‎ Development

[Tool] DaleNet Thrive Univeral Easy Flash Tool

Now, where Toshiba stopped with a crappy version of ICS, Pio Masaki actually made Jelly Bean ROMs that are extremely popular. They're visually very smooth, since Jelly Bean hands over more animation work to the GPU. Kuroikaze Shinka B25 made our Thrive run better than new, like a tablet with better hardware.

[Guide] Your walkthrough of Jelly Bean ROMs for the Thrive 10"

It's Toshiba's prerogative to allow or prevent root, and reading online forums shows the result: many unhappy users like the hardware but won't give Toshiba a second chance. If they really are going to make a serious effort with a third generation of tablets, I hope they take a page from Google and release a very open product. A tablet doesn't have to come rooted already, but with the ability to root. It's pretty hard to hard-brick, in my experience, and the one time I soft-bricked my Nexus 7 was very easy to recover from, since I'd flashed CWM.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Send a PM to dalepl. He will be able to remotely flash the tablet back to an earlier Honeycomb version that will allow rooting. From there you are free to do as you wish, flash HC, ICS, or JB from the Toshiba Thrive ROMS section.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    @arsebaNP

Exclamation ClockWorkMod blocking any access

Quote Originally Posted by dalepl View Post
    As all of you now know, the ICS update has been released for the Thrive. This update is not currently rootable. The bootloader is locked and the exploit we used on HC 3.2.1 is no longer. If you are rooted, then just be patient. I will be posting a pre-rooted ICS ROM. Those of you that have already updated and now want root... Well, you will need to PM me to see if I can help you out. Otherwise, you are now stuck.

Hi! After I use DaleNet tool Thrive is not booting and at ClockWorkMod is blocking any access to root , I try using method from SD as well from USB ...
    need help

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Run the tool again, and check your other thread... :thumbup:
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Remove Ads

Ads