• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By danvee

Thread: Need help to connect to my HTC HD2

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Need help to connect to my HTC HD2

New member here......I picked up a refurbished Thrive on Groupon a few weeks ago. Love it....but cant connect to my phone.

Have AT100 3.21 Android version. I can Wifi at home but cannot access wifi through my T Mobile HTC HD2 3G. I have read threads in many places indicating it is the tablet not the phone. How do I resolve this. I don't know too much yet on rooting etc but I bought it assuming it would work the same as my ASUS windows 7 tablet and laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I wanted to bring this on my vacation next month.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    You can try FoxFi/PDANet.

FoxFi (WiFi tether) - http://foxfi.com/
    PDANet (USB tether) - http://www.junefabrics.com/android/
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 07-12-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My phone is HTC Windows 6.? anyway I have an app on that phone to allow wifi to multiple users. It works with everything except this Thrive. Does not see it at all. I read about rooting the tablet to start with and that scares me since I am still under a 90 day warranty.
    Last edited by cgarrey; 07-12-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: rooting comment

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    The Thrive does not support Ad Hoc networks out of the box and that is what many phones offer, if they aren't locked by your service provider. In your case, it might be Ad Hoc. Do you know what app is being used? If it is an Ad Hoc network, then you probably need to root the Thrive to get Ad Hoc support.

FoxFi is designed to provide an infrastructure network that the Thrive should support without rooting either device, but it's for Android phones. I'm not familiar with an HTC Win6 phone, but it doesn't sound like anything here is going to help you.

In my case, I had to root my Droid to use Open Garden's WiFi Tether app to get an Ad Hoc network and then I also had to root the Thrive to get the Ad Hoc support.
    Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 07-12-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Cheers, Dave

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you Dave,

FoxFi won't work for me but thank you so much for your help. I think I have to root the thrive to go Ad Hoc. Best to read more on this and wait till the warranty is over. Was trying to avoid using the expensive tablet on the beach....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Remember, a rooted Thrive can always be returned back to stock if need be, and if it's damaged to the point of not booting up, there's no way to know that it was rooted.
    Just sayin'
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cgarrey View Post
    Thank you Dave,

FoxFi won't work for me but thank you so much for your help. I think I have to root the thrive to go Ad Hoc. Best to read more on this and wait till the warranty is over. Was trying to avoid using the expensive tablet on the beach....
    Others might chime in, so don't give up hope.

As far as rooting goes, it's up to you, but I believe if something goes wrong while still under warranty, you'll get it fixed for the $25 shipping fee whereas after the warranty is over, you'll bear the full cost. If you successfully root and then need warranty service, you can unroot to put it back to stock. Then too, I don't know if ICS will change Ad Hoc support when it gets here this fall. It took me a month to get up the courage to root and I'm still under warranty, so I understand the reservations you have. Just want to provide all the options I know of.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    PLUS, you might want to look into a SquareTrade warranty. A 2 year drop and spill warranty was only about $70 and covers anything that the factory warranty won't, including dropping and breaking the screen (which is harder to do if it's wearing the BobjGear Silicone case).
    rosalie likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Remove Ads

Ads