• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: DJ_Steve .... Your ICS Rom ...... is it days / weeks / months away ?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Well I guess I'll start off by saying that I have not yet actually attempted to port a ROM over. But those are the basic steps that I would take in the beginning. I would also make sure to steal the kernel modules for the kernel and integrate those with the rom as well (think Wifi).

There are also possibly some machine specific shared libraries to be aware of, like the EGL, GLES, libraries for graphics acceleration. I hope that these libraries would work on any tegra2 based board, but im not too sure.

I'm getting my new Thrive this coming tuesday, so I'll be making a new thread then (or maybe I'll hijack the other one), I guess then I will find out if any of my "theories" are on the mark or not.
    Current Project: Android 3.2.1 custom kernel, codename Shiva.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi dj_steve and everyone else !

Hope all is going well.

dj_steve - I know I know I know this is very un-cool and possibily may even come across as rude and pushy [ which is in no way my intention and I hope I am not flamed for asking ] but ................ PLEASE can you just throw us all a crumb about where your ICS Thrive Rom porting is at ...... maybe / hopefully something more than "soon " ?

All the best,
    Ben

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    I don't use it.
    I believe he is still working hard on it for the Dell Streak. That is his primary rom. Once it's done and working well, he'll port it here.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I thinks it great Steve isn't telling us. When you are trying to figure out something and get it to work, you can't ever really give a time line. And if you do try... then people try to hold you to it. Steve has been quiet in the forum and I think this was just a way of him saying... i'm still here and working on the thrive also. Giving a date is only good for accountability and he doesn't have to be accountable to us. My mom had kidney surgery end of last Aug.. every single time she asks when she will be healed the doctors respond with 6-8 weeks. She is deff doing much better but when you have something like healing.. you can only guess... so they do. With that, I'll answer for steve and say... it will be ready in 6-8 weeks... until you ask again and get the same answer.

I just thank Steve for being the one to root the Thrive for us and giving us all that he has vs demanding more.
    xm41907 likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I *do* agree.

I have nothing but HUGE respect and gratitude to dj_steve and dalepl.

All I am really saying is that I dont think it would be detrimental or problematic if we got a small update along the lines of " going well, shouldnt be too long now " or " this is a really involved process so will still be some time " or words along either lines - either scenario would be perfectly fine to me.

Its nearly ~4 weeks since dj_steve told us " soon " and [ I think ? ] we've not heard anything else since.

Obvioulsy I am not objective on this matter, but is what I am asking above really that demanding or insulting or inappropriate or " biting the hand that feeds " ?

Peace and respect to all.

Ben
    Last edited by benifin; 02-06-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Thrive Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Or the long silence could be that he doesn't plan to further support this device.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree with you both, benefin & salreus. Also if I'm not contributing, I just sick back and wait. If it comes it comes. If not oh well. Hopefully it comes, especially after that coming soon teaser we got, lol. But yeah if a date is set then people would hold him up to it. If it was me I wouldn't announce one either.

Sent from My AT100 using Tapatalk
    xm41907 likes this.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi jbreeze228 & screener06

Truthfully, I was thinking that very thing also - and if that is the case, thats perfectly fine too.

But given dj_steve did make a statement ~ a month ago, a quick minor update - either way - is not a big ask - at least in my humble view - like I said above, not fishing for a " date " - just a how progress is going.

Again, all the best to all.

Ben
    Last edited by benifin; 02-06-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Ok, you wanted proof he is working on it still... here you go. Posted less than 10 days ago.

DMonsterProd Stephen Hyde

is working on thrive related kernel junk again, these tabs will be the death of me

28 Jan

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi salreus

Thanks for that - dont know why I didnt think to tweet him direclty.

Anyway, I just tweeted him and the response is below:-

=> My Tweet:- Hi Stephen. Hows the Thrive ROM going ? Any idea how long before we can get to install and try a beta ? All the best, Ben

=> Response:- a while i suspect since toshiba seem to be breechin.gpl as they havn released updated kernel source for 3.2 so its a pain

Anyway ..... at least we know now it is still some ways off ........ and thats fine too .......

All the best,
    Ben

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads