• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: [KERNEL] Placeholder for first thrive custom kernel

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I am running the thrivedroid 3.2 kernel from dj_steve running at 1544 with no issues

2. Ads

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    hey guys - im rooted running dalepl's oom rom - which kernel is the one i need to dwnld ?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by remotehugger View Post
    hey guys - im rooted running dalepl's oom rom - which kernel is the one i need to dwnld ?
    The only one that works presently is Shiva - kernel. I have it running and OC and so far I haven't experienced any problems with it. Oops, I just read your post on the Shiva kernel.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluezr1; 02-25-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    I thought there was one from djsteve that was going a little higher than the Shiva - I've been running the Shiva for a couple days now without any problems but I always want to go faster - lol -

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    32gb Thrive
    Dalepl's IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by remotehugger View Post
    I thought there was one from djsteve that was going a little higher than the Shiva - I've been running the Shiva for a couple days now without any problems but I always want to go faster - lol -

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    DJ Steve's OC Kernel isn't for 3.2.1, so if you are running a 3.2.1 rom, you will be using the kernel the rom came with, or you will be using the Shiva kernel. As far as the clock speed goes,
    you can get the older Shiva kernel, it has the hacked drivers, and as such, certain things were buggy (notably, video playback had issues). You can set your clock speed higher with it,
    but hardware acceleration on video playback didn't work. Having ran the Shiva kernel from it's early days to present, I can honestly say I didn't notice much difference in the 'real world'
    performance of the current kernel vs. the earlier with the higher max clock speed, but with non-modified drivers, the current kernel seems rock solid.

You will get lower benchmark scores, but, honestly, as interesting as benchmarks can be, they don't always translate into real world performance. I'll take a hit in quadrant or linpack scores
    if it means I get great overall performance and stability.
    ----- If it's not modded, it must not be mine -----
    HTC Hero CDMA / CM7
    HTC Hero CDMA / NFX Stock (Modified)
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus / BlackICE #39
    Toshiba Thrive 16G / Rooted OOM
    Toshiba Thrive 16G / HoneyBaked 1.3
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 / Rooted

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    ok - got ya - thank you - i will definitely take real world over bench's as well -
    32gb Thrive
    Dalepl's IMM76D.01.000072314 Deodexed Stock Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4)

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    No prob. Believe me, I understand wanting to push the hardware to it's limit..but with the nature of development, the risks to the hardware, and the varying nature of what each tablet will 'let' you do,
    I can understand them being conservative with the kernels. Two identical thrives, sitting side by side, flashed with the same rom and kernel combo can very easily lose stability at different frequencies,
    so it's always best to err on the safe side. I'm also confident that as the code is examined, and tweaked, and the voltage and frequency tables are tweaked, We will probably see stable frequencies up
    a little higher, probably with ICS.. Either way, the developers here have speed and stability that Toshiba's paid pro's can't touch.

That very fact is why I'm game to root any android device..If there's development, that means that there's improvements and enhancements to be had. I purchased a thrive for it's features, but I love
    the thrive for what it has become, and what it will be down the road. I'll have a hard time buying something else down the road.
    ----- If it's not modded, it must not be mine -----
    HTC Hero CDMA / CM7
    HTC Hero CDMA / NFX Stock (Modified)
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus / BlackICE #39
    Toshiba Thrive 16G / Rooted OOM
    Toshiba Thrive 16G / HoneyBaked 1.3
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 / Rooted

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Remove Ads

Ads