• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New to rooting. Have HTK55D.31.5.0003. How to root with no fastboot?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bgrau2000 View Post
    This is a question of choice and freedom...
    Yes, you have the choice and freedom to buy an Android device or not. Don't like DMR controls they've instituted, don't buy Thrive. You want free stuff, become a pirate. Being an "open" system doesn't mean they can't institute controls for protected content or keep the average user from screwing up the system by doing things they know nothing about. I'm rooted, but I'd lose no sleep if I couldn't be rooted. There are only 2 reasons I rooted. One was so I could uninstalled apps like Kaspersky. The other was to get my phone tethered. I deleted Kaspersky, etc.,but all that did is free up some space that I really haven't needed. I got my phone tethered, but haven't used it except to test it. I don't intend to use it because I consider that illegal, I just wanted to see if it would work.

Of course, neither of these have anything to do with Android or Google, they are both Toshiba. I could be wrong, because I'm new to all this, but it seems to me the only thing Google has done is implement some controls to protect the digital content they've been allowed to offer. That hardly closes the Android system to content from other sources. Being an "open" system doesn't mean they have to let you illegally tether your phone, download protected content you didn't pay for, etc. Maybe Linux does all that and maybe that's why it's not mainstream. I'd be willing to bet the sysyems that come with Linux don't allow all that either out of the box, though I'm sure there are tools to do it, just like there are with Windows and Android.
    bgrau2000 likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Android is an open OS. Google has released all the source open and free. It does not contain DRM. Now, that being said, Toshiba does not have an obligation to make thier device open. They have prepriotery drivers and such installed on the device. That has always been a fine line on the Android devices. Also, since Google started offering movie rentals, they have made the OEMs lock thier devices down to protect the DRM technology. That is why the overseas devices do not have DRM on them. We may not like what is going on, but it is waht it is. That is why we work so hard to root the devices so you can have more freedom.
    bgrau2000 likes this.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster
    but that means you are not in the shoes of an open source software dev, or a user who wants to have more control over his machine...

freedom has also its responsibilities, otherwise it is chaos...

however the choice to be able to control one's device is at the heart of open source philosophy, remove the ability to control (i.e. have access to code and be able to change it), and open source becomes meaningless...

as for newbies, how can they be denied the freedom to learn, even if they screw up their system along the way... I was extremely ignorant once, and the number of motherboards, cards and devices I damaged was worth it because I learnt how to handle computers...

removing this freedom from people is the stuff of communism, not of a free community... and I am of the opinion that corporatism is a disguised form of communism...

well I am an educator, and I cannot learn if I am not allowed to see what is inside, as simple as that... they were there too, and many operated from a garage (chuckle)... they can restrict me, but they cannot silence me...

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster
    dalepl
    yes and their reply to me was a corporate fudge and lie... thanks for the clarifications and distinctions...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Why is it their responsibility that the device work? Most software vendors won't support your software if you make certain modifications, I don't see why this is any different. I would bet you good money, that's not the modivation behind their behavior. Otherwise Eughre, Hearts, Spades, and other games wouldn't be included in the stuff they lock down. At least with a PC, I can format the hard drive and install any OS I want. Even MAC OS can be installed now, but get an Android device and you can forget about trying to even uninstall a stupid game.

I have no problem with them locking down SOME things, but why the hell wouldn't I be able to uninstall Backgammon? You cannot tell me that it's necessary to the proper function of the device.
    Last edited by tpgnnr; 03-30-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Thrive Conveyor
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    @inabster

everyone is right in their bubble...

of course you are right,
    and most people as organisations and developers can do anything they want, but...

but there are consequences...

mostly all software/hardware vendors/developers who overprotected their systems are now history... \
    makes you ponder...

Quote Originally Posted by tpgnnr View Post
    Why is it their responsibility that the device work? Most software vendors won't support your software if you make certain modifications, I don't see why this is any different. I would bet you good money, that's not the modivation behind their behavior. Otherwise Eughre, Hearts, Spades, and other games wouldn't be included in the stuff they lock down. At least with a PC, I can format the hard drive and install any OS I want. Even MAC OS can be installed now, but get an Android device and you can forget about trying to even uninstall a stupid game.

I have no problem with them locking down SOME things, but why the hell wouldn't I be able to uninstall Backgammon? You cannot tell me that it's necessary to the proper function of the device.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads