• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By danvee
  • 1 Post By Diji
  • 1 Post By JiveTurkee

Thread: thrive 10 4.2.x rom?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

thrive 10 4.2.x rom?

I'm almost thinking of selling my thrive 10 inch runing ICS dalep rooted rom. The thrive overall doesn't seem that fast with all these tablets coming out. Also, what are the chances someone is going to make a custom rom to bring this up to 4.2.x?

thanks for your opinion,
    Jeremy

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    A factory reset, clearing out all of the cobwebs, along with Pio's Melchoir kernel o/c'd to 1.4G makes for a pretty good experience.
    I know that Pio has a couple JB ROMs over in his Dev area and many people like them. Don't know the version offhand but you can check it out.

Your choice, though...
    JiveTurkee likes this.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    diji
    I rooted my Thrive last night, so I've got recent memory of what's out there.

There are several 4.1.x based ROMs that you can install, such as the CM10 unified build, Baked Bean, and others. They appear to be pretty stable and well-supported with a few small quirks (like no lockscreen location for me right now).

There is also a CM10.1 build which is 4.2.x based, but (and I'm not sure if the thread was up to date) there are some deal-breaker things for me that are listed and no working or not working consistently. Until these things get fixed, I will stick with CM10.

Honestly, the main reason to run CM10.1 is multiple users or the new launcher/notification bar UI... that's about it. CM10 (4.1.2) is still Jelly Bean, and has Google Now, Project Butter, and all of the other things that come with it... and for now, that's definitely good enough.

Your mileage may vary...
    deamens likes this.
    ~Diji
    Toshiba Thrive
    HTC Inspire 4g

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    jrb, definitely try one of Pio's 4.1 ROMs to breathe new life into your Thrive. His 4.2-based ROM isn't ready for daily use, but most people wouldn't notice any differences between it and 4.1. The big difference is between 4.1 and 4.0, because JB's use of the GPU will make things look smoother and feel snappier.

Android 4.3 was released yesterday, but I'm not fretting that my Nexus 7 doesn't see it yet. It's not that huge an improvement.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Tech
    Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Pio's Baked Black Bean jellybean ROM is one of the best out there. Believe me, I've seen many Jellybean ROMs and many ROMs in general and this is one of the best I have run on any device. My Thrive is fast overclocked with the kernel included.
    rosalie likes this.

TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM (4.1.2)

Samsung Galaxy S8+• Oreo Beta ROM (8.0)
    LG V20
    •Stock ROM (7.0 Nougat)
    ZTE Trek2 HD•Stock ROM (6.0 Marshmallow)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    There is one thing about Android 4.3 that I didn't realize is significant: OpenGL ES 3.0 means superior graphics, at least in devices and apps that can make use of it.

OpenGL ES - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Remove Ads

Ads