• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Universal Search Seemingly Not Working Using DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 ROM

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Universal Search Seemingly Not Working Using DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 ROM

So, I'm using the DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 ROM, and it seems that universal search isn't working properly. Did I do something wrong, or is universal search just disabled in ICS by Google? I'm pretty sure I installed the ROM properly, since everything else seems to be working just fine (and flawlessly, I might add), except for this tiny irritating situation. I've got a couple hundred apps installed on my Thrive, and it's a pain in the butt to go to Apps and then scroll through them alphabetically just to find the one I want. And, yes, I know I could use the homescreens to create shortcuts, but those can only help to a certain extent (we only have 5 of them, right?). Obviously, I have root access, so if your solution involves root access, no worries there. I just want my universal search back, and that's it. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows of a workaround/fix and thanks to dalepl for making this ROM (I tried using Service Station to update to ICS and it failed a good 30 times, whereas this ROM installed flawlessly on the first attempt).

2. Ads

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    kfite13
    If I am not mistaken, I think universal search has been removed as part of one of the Apple lawsuits.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - ROM: AOKP JB Nightlies - Kernel: TNP1344-384-JB-Appha35
    Phone: Samsung Fascinate - not active
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive - DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Looks correct to me:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...arch-gone.html

Google Now will do fairly the same (there's a thread here if you search)
    just enable search 'device and phone' IIRC.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danvee View Post
    Looks correct to me:

Why the heck is Universal Search gone? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Google Now will do fairly the same (there's a thread here if you search)
    just enable search 'device and phone' IIRC.
    I did a search for both "google now on ics" and "google now" in the forums here and didn't get any results (by looking at the titles, at least). I figured some weird workaround would be necessary....stupid patents. I'll just do a Google search and follow the instructions I find. If you've got an actual link to instructions that have been verified to actually work, that'd be great, though. At least there's a way to fix this (and another reason to hate Apple).

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    kfite13
    Here is the link for one of the threads here.

"Google Now" on Thrive

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - ROM: AOKP JB Nightlies - Kernel: TNP1344-384-JB-Appha35
    Phone: Samsung Fascinate - not active
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive - DaleNet-Thrive_10-IMM76D.01.000072314-Deodexed_Stock_Rooted_ROM-v1.0

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Universal search works with the Google Now mod for ICS. Never remembered checking the default universal search for ICS.
    Samsung and HTC are removing the universal search specifically. Never heard of toshiba doing the same.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, I flashed the Google Now mod for ICS but now when I go to Google Search (by clicking the Google link in the upper left corner of my homescreen or by going to Apps > Google) it gives me a screen saying "Discover Google Now" in portrait mode and I can't seem to get rid of that screen. Am I missing some control or button to dismiss that screen (this would be expected since I have horrible vision)?

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Can you see any of the cards or can you do voice search with it? I dont remember the initial setup though. The cards will keep on improving as per the online search you do. Atleast you will see the weather card. Does'nt it have a next button or something?

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ryutochi View Post
    OK, I flashed the Google Now mod for ICS but now when I go to Google Search (by clicking the Google link in the upper left corner of my homescreen or by going to Apps > Google) it gives me a screen saying "Discover Google Now" in portrait mode and I can't seem to get rid of that screen. Am I missing some control or button to dismiss that screen (this would be expected since I have horrible vision)?
    I used the removal tool that was posted where I got my flashable zips from (not the site linked above, but it was one of the xda forum threads) and for some reason it gave me back the functionality I had prior to ICS in Google Search. Google Now would be great to have, but I've got what I wanted: Universal Search. If anyone could tell me how to get past the step above, that'd be great, as I'd love to have Google Now.

Also, if anyone knows if this is possible: is it possible to have the background of Google Now be a different color? I like how Google Search has a black background and white letters (as I said above, I have horrible eyesight) as this is easier for me to see. However, Google Now, during the ten seconds it was working for me, had a white background and black lettering. If anyone knows a way to change this, that would be greatly appreciated (NOTE: I'm a computer programmer, so I'm not afraid of flashing a bazillion ROM's to get this to work).

Also, I have zero idea on how to subscribe to threads on these forums (it's really unintuitive), so I guess I'll just hit Refresh every few hours instead. Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1295 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ryutochi View Post
    Also, I have zero idea on how to subscribe to threads on these forums (it's really unintuitive), so I guess I'll just hit Refresh every few hours instead. Thanks to everyone for their help so far.
    At the top of the thread, there is a menu bar. One of the options is THREAD TOOLS. In there you will find Subscribe To This Thread. Select that and set the other options.
    rosalie likes this.
    Cheers, Dave

ICS Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads