• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation AT100 (3.2.1) htk55d.33.5.0005 (Yes,Canadian, like eh!)

I decided to "root" my devices (Samsung Galaxy Q phone, yeah, old, but, hey, slide out keyboard, who's got that these days, oh yes, nobody, still those tiny keys are a "joy" with hands that aren't from a 6 year old, thanks Samsung), my Thrive 10" AT100 was next. Though, the reason for rooting on the phone was obvious (stupid 1gb of ram for internal storage, who's idea was that), the other obvious reason was because my Thrive takes 6-7 mins to boot (which I believe I found out why, the media scanner database has every last file from day 1 in it, and doesn't seem to be able to clear itself, hence root needing to clear that out).

Well, I went ahead, rooted my phone, bought the Superuser Pro so I could get the notifications, works like a charm, figured my AT100 would be the same... Well, somewhat. After the rooting process (htk55d.33.5.0005 [Rom 15 in the list]), I was told it was rooted. So, I went adb shell, typed su and yes, was greeted with a # prompt, ID shows Root (twice as expected), but, there is something amiss, the Superuser app on the tablet doesn't respond to any app for root access at all, they all say they can't get any root permissions. I exported the xml from my phone's permission list and imported into the tablet, now those same apps are being told "you have permission", but when it comes time to actually use it, they fail saying they don't have it. So, I tried to re-root the tablet, massive amounts of documented errors (the /tmp directory doesn't exist, failed to create links, etc) and it ended saying I had a rooted tablet again. Upon checking, the sound was gone (a reboot fixed that), Superuser was complaining the su binary wasn't right (it's not now, apparently it updated/fixed itself after the reboot), so it's all back to the same way it was before I tried to re-root. If I adb shell, I get immediate root access (without su), but apps have no root access whatsoever.

Now I do have full root in the shell in debug mode, so I have access to do anything, so if someone wants me to check output on anything or check link status, sure. I can cut/paste the shell output into a message here to help solve the "partial" rooting. I am glad I was able to remove the bloatware on it (and my phone), though I'd like to use link2sd to help with the space issue and being able to system apps like Gmail and such which have both an update and a system/app. Was also wanting to use Busybox, but, can't on the tablet, but can on the phone.

I'm fairly patient, as I use this tablet in day to day business applications (diagnostics and such) and it's the only tablet to date that has a good rubber backing so I can hold it at almost all angles without it falling out of my hand (or requiring a bad implementation of a case).

Thanks to the development for the work you've done so far.

GuruSR.

2. Ads

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I followed instructions elsewhere to "finish" the rooting, which somewhat did work, except for my "intervention".

The instructions said "bash" (I know what that is from Unix days) had to be present, I figured fine, okay. But, nowhere to be found, couldn't find it anywhere. So, I recall seeing that the "su" had been updated, so I grabbed what I *thought* was the updated one included in the Dalenet rooting, apparently it's not. It's paired with "Superuser (Free)" on the Play Store. Now, those two *ARE* working as wanted, rooting is done, but, my problem is, I have "Superuser" and "Superuser Elite" and would rather get those two back in action (because the free one thats present is impossible to read with white on light gray) as I paid for the Elite and I can import the settings from my phone to my tablet and not have to re-allow apps I already know. It's been ages since I did sym links, but I presume that it's tolerant of me moving the existing "su", putting the one that was there back (I made a copy of it for safety) and putting the original "su" in, re-linking it, chmod, etc, and hopefully that'll work fine, but what I want to make sure of, before I do this, is the version of "su" I have backed up, is the latest one I should be using with the tablet (so I'm not doing this again). And after all this is said and done, I want to get this sucker backed up fully!

GuruSR.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    Wouldn't it be easier to use Titanium Backup or Helium to make the transfer with data. Both should have the market data. From there check the market for any updates.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Remove Ads

Ads