• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By panda
  • 4 Post By darkstreet

Thread: re-rooting from stock ICS

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

re-rooting from stock ICS

I have a question if someone can help me with an answer. A while back I found the thrive forums and was interested in rooting my thrive so I asked a few questions and everyone here was VERY helpful. So I rooted my thrive after installing the proper drivers and using the easy root tool. Now I may get the names of a few of these files wrong. Im recovering from cancer and still suffer from chemo brain haha. Anyway once I was sure I was rooted I flashed dalepl rooted ICS rom. Very nice rom but after that my GPS wouldn't work finding ANY sats. I am positive it wasn't his rom that caused the problem. My thrive was working great with his rom. I wanted to experiment a bit using other roms to see if I could get the GPS working again so I flashed the HC rooted rom next. The tablet still working great but still no GPS. SO than I flashed the stock rom to take my thrive to the out of the box state. Worked perfectly, I got all the OTA updates to bring my thrive back to the original ICS level. Now the GPS is still not working but that isn't really why Im writing this. I enjoyed Dalepl's ICS rooted rom so much I used the easy root tool to re-root my thrive and flashed his rooted ICS rom again and am now back to the Dalepl ICS rooted rom. I checked the about settings and it says I am using 4.0.4 and build (dalenet DeOdexed rooted).
    Ok so here is my question, I have been reading a few of the post here and am seeing where a few people are being told that once you flash back to the unrooted stock rom that if a person ever wanted to root again they would have to msg. one of you to bring the thrive back to HC. Maybe I am miss reading something here but I didn't seem to have a problem re-rooting mine so Im not understanding. Please help haha.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    The root tool already unlocked the bootloader, so you don't need anyone to flash HC for you. As you already did, you can flash the 3.2.1 ROM at any time. What you were reading was an old warning, no longer valid, that anyone upgrading to Toshiba's ICS could no longer root the Thrive. That limitation has since been overcome.

The Thrive's GPS can take a long time to lock, even when running HC. You can try a few things to get GPS working. This app will tell you if your Thrive can see any satellites at all.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tcross.gpstest

If you can see satellites but the bars are gray, then your problem is locking on. This is dalepl's GPS fix that has worked for some people.

[MOD] GPS Fix by Country and Continent

It didn't work for me, but this one does. It still takes a bit to lock on, but several minutes is better than never.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=org.fastergps
    danvee, darkstreet and rosalie like this.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks panda for the reply, I have tried both of those apps and my problem is I don't see ANY satellites but its ok, I also have a Samsung 10.1 2014 tablet so I don't really need the GPS on the thrive. I just wanted to learn how to root my thrive. Im going to keep reading about rooting here and hopefully one day I will be able to figure out how to flash the JB rom. I mean if it doesn't work for me I can always go back to the rooted ICS right? hahaha. Anyway Im very new to all this so Im just going to keep reading and learning. Thanks for your help friend

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    HA, so I put my thrive in the window and let it set for about 30 minutes with the GPS status app running and now its working. Sees 11 sats and fixed on 9 of em.
    danvee, MJE, panda and 1 others like this.

Remove Ads

Ads