• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chromecast and DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Chromecast and DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4

Has anyone successfully detected and cast to a Chromecast dongle from any app besides YouTube? I also tested the Chromecast App, HBO GO, and Google Movies. None of those apps even detect the Chromecast from my rooted Thrive (Dalenet 4.0.4 ICS). Each of those apps both detect and cast without error from my Galaxy G3. The software versions on both the Thrive and the S3 are identical for all those apps (incl YouTube). The G3 runs 4.1.2 stock. HBO GO and Google Movies come up but do not have the Chromecast icon available (as they do on the G3). The Chromecast app starts a search and after a while comes back saying no chromecast device is detected on (mywifinet name). I don't understand why YouTube detects and uses the device while the others don't, assuming they all use the same resources to detect and use it. Figured I'd better check here.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    IDK. Might be something in Toshiba's 'flavor' of ICS.
    May want to flash one of Pio_masaki's JB ROMs, for interest's sake.
    I'll be interested in any responses over at Android Central.
    I don't remember anyone here mentioning that they have a Chromecast.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had the Chromecast since September/October time frame. Iím using Dalenet rooted ICS 4.0.4. The Chromecast is accessible on my Samsung Galaxy S4 numerous PC's and the Toshiba Thrive. Unfortunately on the Thrive it is hit or miss. While the Dalenet ROM is head and shoulders above the Toshiba stock ICS there are still quirks. From time to time I have to wipe the cache and clear the Davlik cache to rid the system of lag or random force closes in applications. Even with that Using the Chromecast is hit or miss. The most common malady is the missing "cast icon" in the menu of Chromecast enabled apps like Google play and HBO GO. In some cases they will appear when the program loads then disappear in second after the app is loaded. This is especially true with HBO GO. Google Play is the same although it may connect and drop in midstream. The Avia Application rarely sees the Chromecast for long but detects other DLNA apps like TWONKY and it sees itself running on my Google tv box. The YouTube app see the Chromecast device from time to time but also sees the Google TV box 100% of the time. In short you can get the Chromecast to work with the Thrive under the rooted ICS but its a bumpy ride and just a notch south of reliable. I'm going to try one of the JB ROMS to see if the inconsistency continues.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Remember that Dalepl's ROM is a rooted, memory management enhanced stock Toshiba ROM with previously non removable 'system' apps moved to user space.
    He didn't rewrite it.
    That leaves most of the Toshiba 'quirks' intact.
    ~Dan

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Dan for the clarification... so is there any other ROM that works better then the Dalepl's stock Toshiba v4.0.4 ROM?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    Depends on what you mean by 'better'.
    If you want ICS, you have just 2 choices. Dalepl's or Toshiba's.
    If you want JB, take a look over in Pio_masaki's Development area.
    If you want the most absolutely stable setup, HC (either dalepl's or Toshiba's) are the most stable that are currently supported.
    There are other HC ROMs here, but the developers are no longer around to support them, so you're especially doing so at your own risk.
    ~Dan

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have done some additional testing and problems with Chromecast ICS appear to exist on the Acer A100 as well. This 7" tab has a stock image of ICS from Acer. It is far more stable & speedy than Toshiba's monstrosity HOWEVER IT DOES HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WITH CHROMECAST

Hit or miss Google Play. Never stays connected for long if you do connect.
    Disappearing cast Icon in other apps.

At this point I think it's an ICS problem. We'll see if Google addresses it.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    This isn't mean to hijack the thread. Having heard of Chromecast problems, and that so far it isn't the general broadcast device I'd initially hoped it would be, I doubt I'll ever get one. For me, a better choice is an Android PC on a stick, especially with the continued price drops. There's a generic quad-core A9 on Amazon for $41, plenty of power to stream 1080p off a home server.
    Usurper of wife's Thrive 10, now sporting dalepl's much-improved version of Toshiba's ICS 4.0.4.
    Nexus 7 owner, eternal Commodore enthusiast, and hobbyist of making old tech do the unexpected.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Add me to the list of those having limited Chomecast success. Works fine from my PC, but the YouTube app is the only one that I have found that works on my rooted Thrive. The Revision3 app tries to work but quits after about a second.

Google Play Movies won't even start - can't even get a free TV episode to begin, let alone starting to cast. Keep getting msg that the rental period has expired.
    Pete

Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314 ICS)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    That's because Google Play Movies will not play if root is detected. The Superuser app has an option to do a temp unroot. I've had success with some apps that won't work on rooted devices. But I also lost root once when I rebooted with the temp unroot on.

Quote Originally Posted by pete707 View Post
    Add me to the list of those having limited Chomecast success. Works fine from my PC, but the YouTube app is the only one that I have found that works on my rooted Thrive. The Revision3 app tries to work but quits after about a second.

Google Play Movies won't even start - can't even get a free TV episode to begin, let alone starting to cast. Keep getting msg that the rental period has expired.
    rosalie likes this.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads