• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chromecast and DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the response. Is the 'temp unroot' feature part of the Superuser Elite? I couldn't find anything like that in my free version.
    Pete

Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314 ICS)

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    922 times
    It's in the regular version of Superuser. Tap the "i" option, not the Settings for Superuser.
    rosalie likes this.
    Found my signature file, but it appears to be empty...

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarver2000 View Post
    It's in the regular version of Superuser. Tap the "i" option, not the Settings for Superuser.
    Ahhh! Found it and checked the box, but still no joy. Google Play Movies still tells me that the rental period has expired even for a free TV episode. Oh well I can still use the Play Store credit I got when purchasing the Chromecast by using my PC browser and casting to my TV. Thanks for the help.
    Pete

Rooted (IMM76D.01.000072314 ICS)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1983 times
    IIRC the temp unroot doesn't work with Play Movies. You'd have to search back through the forums, but I believe that's the case.
    It might work on others, but not Google Play Movies.
    ~Dan

Running DaleNet Rooted ICS v4.0.4 and Turbo Prop mod

No affiliation with Toshiba whatsoever- other than as a satisfied Thrive owner.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    895 times
    Nope. If you are rooted, you will not be able to use Google Play Movies or TV on your Thrive, using the temp un-root, or any other way, as far as I know. It's been a while since I've tried Amazon Movies, but they used to work on my rooted Thrive though.
    Thriving with dalepl's silky-smooth DaleNet IMM76D.01.000072314 Rooted ROM (US ICS 4.0.4) and Pio_Masaki's Melchior v 2.4 kernel

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Its possible to actually unroot entirely and re root when you want it back. As long as you hide the su binary and remove the superuser app then root is gone, flashing a root package will restore it. You can do both in recovery and not lose your ability to root at all as you still have a custom recovery. If it still doesn't work then its looking at something else, like busybox.
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDroid View Post
    I have done some additional testing and problems with Chromecast ICS appear to exist on the Acer A100 as well. This 7" tab has a stock image of ICS from Acer. It is far more stable & speedy than Toshiba's monstrosity HOWEVER IT DOES HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WITH CHROMECAST

Hit or miss Google Play. Never stays connected for long if you do connect.
    Disappearing cast Icon in other apps.

At this point I think it's an ICS problem. We'll see if Google addresses it.

Just for the record I just tried the newly released chromecast support in VUDU and it works fine on the Thrive (rooted Dalepl's ICS). So now of the apps I subscribe to YouTube and VUDU work. Chromecast app, HBOGO, and Google Play Movies all fail to detect the Chromecast at all.

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pio_masaki View Post
    Its possible to actually unroot entirely and re root when you want it back. As long as you hide the su binary and remove the superuser app then root is gone, flashing a root package will restore it. You can do both in recovery and not lose your ability to root at all as you still have a custom recovery. If it still doesn't work then its looking at something else, like busybox.
    How do you hide the su binary?

Thanks.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1904 times
    Twitter
    piomasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by thekeither View Post
    How do you hide the su binary?

Thanks.
    Either move it to another directory or rename it. Or delete it and flash Root back later.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2
    JB/ICS OC Kernels | My ROMs section | TWRP Recovery for Thrive
    CM10 General Thread | Jelly Bean Guide
    Donations, always appreciated!
    Need a rollback or reflash? Just send a PM!

Thrive Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bcflynn1 View Post
    Just for the record I just tried the newly released chromecast support in VUDU and it works fine on the Thrive (rooted Dalepl's ICS). So now of the apps I subscribe to YouTube and VUDU work. Chromecast app, HBOGO, and Google Play Movies all fail to detect the Chromecast at all.
    Here we go round the mulberry bush......

After FIOS hardware failure got desperate til repair and set up hotspot network on my Sam G3 to get internet tonight. That worked fine (even pc and browsers works once Ether cable pulled). So I tried the Thrive after setting the CCast to the Galaxy wifi net and VOILA everything works on the Thrive, even CC app to do setup if I need to. When I did cast, some PC apps lost internet connections. Stopping the casting let me restore those again on the PC (browsers, Messenger). Chrome, however, will not see the CC in this setup. I'm sure some network thing. Had to change the netwok settings in windows to get most PC stuff to work on the Wifi hotspot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads