• Login:

Welcome to the Toshiba Thrive Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

How do we root a Thrive7 in order to backup?

I have an Acer A500 which I have been able to root using a dedicated app which allowed me to instali ClockWorkMod Recovery.

I have then been able to use Titanium Backup to save all apps and data to restore to whichever build I flash.

Is this possible on our Thrive7s?

2. Ads

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Yes it is. what ROM build do you have? Look in my development sectio for the Thrive 7". I have posted a root tool. also posted a ClockWorkMod iInstaller tool.
    My Development
    Easy Flash Tool (DOS) | Root/Unroot Tool (Linux)
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi dalepl, thanks for a quick response.

I have Kernel version 2.6.36.3-00024-gffc3fa5, Build number HTK55D.31.5.005 Stock ROM. Can you point me in the right direction please.

Since getting this baby over Xmas I've loaded lots of apps and want to preserve my user data before flashing a new ROM.

Thanks for all your efforts young Sir (I'm an old Sir :-), will be flashing me a new one before the night is out !!

Best regards

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    OOooo... just found it.. Thanks

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    I'm not young. Pushing 51 now. You will find the Thrive crowd is a 50+ majority. Strange how we want function over slickness. The 7" is also nice and actually better for portability. Only with it had USB host mode.
    My Development
    DaleNet ROMs Section - Fully Stock Roms and Rooted Stock ROMs for many different regions.

Thrive Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Great to know dalepl, I'm a coupla years older, a Comms Engineer in my twilight, but went the MCSE & CCNA route a good few years back, but still love to tinker...

... anyway, I'm now the proud owner of a ROOTED Thrive7, (don't know why I shouted :-), Root Explorer and Titanium Backup came and shook hands, ready for action!! Backup then headfirst into those lovely ROMs....

Can't thank you enough Mr.Dalepl. I salute you Sir!!

Edit: Do you think we might ever get Host Mode functionality via the MiniUSB connection? Is it a software issue? What about that massive plug interface that's only used for charging at the mo? I know it's a dock connector, but what a waste of space (literally!!). Some tabs with Host capability can use an OTG adaptor to connect various bits of kit. Cherry on cake time if we could!!

(For those who are interested, OTG (On The Go) adaptors have a MiniUSB or MicroUSB plug on one end and a standard USB A socket on the other allowing USB devices, keybds, mice, card readers etc, to be connected)
    Last edited by OutaDaDark; 01-27-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    1960 times
    Glad to see another happy camper. Anyway, I do not know about the USB host mode. I do not think the miniUSB port can support it due to hardware setup, but I would think the dock connector would have the capability to support USB host mode with an adapter. I have not seen anything on it though.
    My Development

Remove Ads

Ads